Psychological First Aid
- Psychological First Aid – What everyone can do:
- Helping to restore a sense of order and control. Within hospital this may take the form of establishing some normal routines and patterns over which they some control.
- Providing general comfort and reassurance.
- Involvement in purposeful activities wherever possible (e.g. supporting self and others).
- Giving space for the voluntary expression of feelings, without eliciting feelings or thoughts that someone is not ready to give.
- Providing accurate, factual information about what has happened, what is happening and what is going to happen.
- Allowing contact with support networks e.g. Family, friends, colleagues, if desired by the patient.
- Multi agency co-operation in coordinating support and potential future support networks.
Much more information on Pscyhological First Aid can be found here