Spinal Injuries - Patient at the Trauma Unit - see flow chart below CLICK HERE IF YOU ARE AT THE MTC
- Ensure ASIA chart completed within first 6 hours
- Ensure Network Guidance for assessing / protecting the whole spine [to be written] is followed
- If the patient requires immediate transfer to the MTC then follow the usual guidance
- If you require advice regarding a spinal injury contact: FOR CERVICAL SPINE - neurosurgical SpR on call. FOR THORACOLUMBAR - orthopaedic SpR on call.
- For consultant input contact the SPINAL CONSULTANT ON CALL via LGI switchboard.
- if there is a neurological injury then inform Spinal Cord Injury Centre within 4 hours (0844 811 8110). This is the responsibility of the Trauma Unit team. Ask to speak to the consultant on call for spinal injuries.
- SCIC responsible for entering data to national database.
- If, following discussion with the MTC spinal team the patient needs emergency transfer then follow the immediate transfer guidance
- If, following discussion with the MTC spinal team the patient needs secondary transfer to the MTC then admit to TU and follow secondary transfer guidance.
- If the patient does not need transfer to the MTC (eg isolated cord injury with no requirement for spinal surgical input) then admit to your TU. The SCIC will provide outreach visits within 5 days and then weekly until transfer.
- For patients remaining at the TU:
- Follow Network Guidance on care of patients with spinal injuries during admission [to be written]
- If appropriate transfer to SCIC will occur within 1-5 days (including ventilated patients)
- If admission to SCIC not appropriate then patient should remain at their TU and SCIC will continue outreach there.
Further clarification of what goes to Ortho Spines at the MTC and what goes to Neurosurgery can be found here